Monday, March 26, 2007

The Quilt Collaboration

Pacfic Northwest Underwater scene
depicting my family as well

The Quilt Collaboration is a virtual quilt with 64 people from Warm glass website collaborating. Each making a 8X8" glass tile using the theme Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. It will first be shown as a photo virtual quilt. Each person is to complete the project by making tile that is personally challenging. and then photographing the work and emailing it to Toni the person putting it all the tiles together for us. Someday it may become a physical quilt..who knows.. I made an under water scene of the north Pacific coast.
I started my under water scene, witha pattern clay. The challenge for me is the longer slower, casting times ,resulting in getting more bubbles out of the glass and casting thicker and the frit/pate de verre (meaning literally paste of glass) technique. Then I filled the plaster mold with larger frit. I am happy with the result. The shells look real when you are up close and when you touch them.




No comments: