Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Jack and Ball take two


sorry for the picture quality of these shots I just don't seem to have the patience for the camera lately....

my mended jack getting ready to refire now that I have put a new end with ball on it... I used my tile saw to cut off the offending end and to match the size to the new end...you can see the seam repaired with lard and beeswax...called bondo .... I used the "bondo" to smooth out some divots and rough spots too... I put it in the freezer for a couple of hours before making a container to remold the jack and recast..






into the bucket using the lid for the base sculptors clay is the blue stuff I need to balance the jack on skewer sticks soak in veg. oil and cut to the right lengths...I will be able to dig out the sculptors clay and then pull out the skewers after the plaster has set. I did not want to use any other wax as I don't need to steam anything out... I am going to do a burn out of the bondo. I will add a small amount of glass to the reservoir to help the glass move.








this is my prototype with a styrofoam ball and cone for a sprue then dipped in wax and then I made a plaster/silica mold ...dissolved the styrofoam with acetate and steamed out the wax. It worked nicely, now to attempt it in the size I want for the jack ...
the larger styrofoam ball worked out well a lot easier than the first attempt with the beach ball...




the first try with my jack went fairly well but one ballend did not fil...l so I need to make a ball end and recast the whole jack














here is the wax covered 6' Styrofoam ball and sprue in the right size you can also see some of my wax jacks in the picture








No comments: